Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rock Rings

I let the wave of gymnastic ring training pass because I thought I'd make my own eventually. There are instructional videos available to help you make gymnastic rings from plywood or pvc, I was planning on going the Petco route- use two large dog pull toys and some nylon strapping. And then I saw the light: Rock Rings (click on the title).

Rock Rings are designed for climbers. They resemble small handholds such as you might find on a rock face, only these can be suspended from an eye hook or pull-up bar. As soon as I saw these things I knew my search for gymnastic rings were over. My plan for the Rock Rings is to use them for ring dips and various pull-up progressions.

8-3-11
-ring dips (5x3, 3x5)
-off set, Rock Ring bent arm hangs (6x10 sec)

It took me a while to get the hang of the ring dips, 5 sets of three as a matter of fact. I did an additional 3x5 to make sure I got it. In order to perform dips, I used a length of rope to suspend the Rock Rings from my doorway pull-up bar. Balancing on the Rock Rings hit my triceps a little harder than regular dips. I was going to do some bodyweight pull-ups with my new toys, but found the finger holds put a lot of stress on my bum wrist. I went with bent arm hangs.

If you are planning on doing gymnastic ring training, give Rock Rings a thought.

2 comments: