Friday, September 17, 2010

if it looks like a tornado

and acts like a tornado, then it probably is a tornado. Last night a storm passed through New York City and it's environs uprooting tress, knocking over tractor trailers, downing power lines and making a greater hassle of the evening commute. There was one fatality.

I was caught out in the storm with my eldest daughter. Overhead, a large ominous cloud settled over the city like an alien mother ship. Thunder rumbled like distant kettledrums and then we were pelted with hailstones, larger than Chicklets but smaller than M&M's. I mentioned to my daughter how hailstones usually precede tornados. But not to worry, I reassured her, we hardly ever get those. Hah! Luckily, the worst we experienced was a few hailstone beanings and a little drizzle. Other areas got hit hard. News sources seem reluctant to use the "T" word (click the title and see), preferring the ambiguous "tornado-like." Whatever.

if it looks like an ass-kicker:
-5 min burpees
-10 minutes 2x25kg db squats
-Tabata row (Concept 2)

I haven't done this workout. I'm about to, and it has all the characteristics of an ass-kicking workout. I predict pain. I'll edit with my verdict.
-----------
OK, it was an ass-kicker:
-5 min burpees (only 57)
-10 minutes squats (only 8 minutes and 40 squats)
-Tabata row, sucked before and sucked again

I tried something new with the burpees-landing in the down position of the squat instead of catching myself half-standing. I thought I'd give myself a good stretch doing this but the effect was negative. With the squats, I employed the interval timer (30 sec work/rest) but couldn't sustain that pace past the 8 minute mark. I quit before I pulled something or tweaked my back. After a short breather I mounted the rower anticipating a painful 4 minutes. Surprise-only the last 3 minutes hurt.

The no-mas-ometer reads 4.0.

Before I forget.
Yesterday:

-5 min burpees (62)
-10 minutes of single-arm c&p (90)

Wasn't feeling it today doing the c&p. The left arm was balky-weak grip.

The no-mas-ometer reads 3.5

3,416


110/65/59

3,473

2 comments:

  1. 4.0! Nice!! That one did sound like a serious ass kicker - well done buddy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sandman. A Tabata finisher is the jalapeno in the salsa.:-D

    ReplyDelete