Thursday, May 26, 2011

A man's gotta know his limitations

Last Monday's 200 burpee extravaganza was the gift that kept on giving. It wasn't until today, Thursday, that I could even attempt another burpee. Despite the fatigue, I was able to make last night's Sambo class, where we worked on a mash-up of the Judo throws harai goshi and osoto makikomi. Basically you wrap the arm as in osoto makikomi and use your hip as in harai goshi. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of this technique in Russian.

We also worked on tumbling: basic forward rolls; back rolls; back roll to a hand-stand and kip. I felt pretty good throughout the class- no residual signs of fatigue. This gave me the confidence to contemplate burpees again.

5-26-11
-31 bw pull-ups (pr?)
-6x2x10 secs, one-handed, bent arm hangs
-10x(10 burpees + 3 db C&P)*

It was the pull-ups that let me know that my energy levels had come back to almost normal today. I kipped on the last rep, so I'm not sure I can count it as a pr, but call it a sloppy 31. On the bent arm hangs, I felt a little ambitious, so I spiced the isometric with a little concentric. I didn't time the burpees, but it felt no longer than previous attempts.

As Clint Eastwood's Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force , "a man's gotta know his limitations." 200 burpees? just shoot me.

8,605/[238]

* Some folks have criticized this routine as more of a conditioning than strength routine, like skipping rope. Meh, make the db's progressively heavier and you'll be conditioned and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment