Wednesday, October 6, 2010

row slow

So I dusted off the 'ol C2 and settled in for a 20 minute piece. My aim was to have a steady stroke rate of about 18-19 strokes/min, which I did. The thing about rowing this long for me, actually long for rowers can be 90 minutes of mind-numbing hell, is fighting off the demons in my head that want me to quit. I've got a ways to go from 20 to 90 minutes, but it's a start.

Besides improving my burpee efficiency, I've long had the ambition of getting my 2K time on the C2 down to a respectable number. Something like 7'45 is kinda lame. Tabatas just ain't going to cut it. I figure that by building a decent aerobic base, I'll be able to improve that time as well as the 50 and 100 burpee times.

Now I have to figure out how to program more rowing with the other stuff.

10-5-10:
-20 min row
-pull-ups w/Fe (2x6)
-dips w/Fe (12,13)

The low stroke rate, even though I was pulling explosively and driving with the legs, gets this a 3.3 on the no-mas-ometer. It was boredom I had to fight and not so much toxic fatigue.

10-6-10:
-5 min burpees (59)
-10 minutes of hang squat-cleans (40)
-N sit dead hang (1'15)

I'm going to eat-up anything that resembles a thruster until Fran is mine. Standing up numerous times with db's at the shoulders were on the menu today and they were satisfying. The N sit dead-hang, where you hang from a pull-up bar with thighs to chest, takes the lordosis out of the spine while working the grip and abs.

The no-mas-ometer reads a 3.7.

3,921

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Someday I will have to get a rower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can score one on craigslist that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete