Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hello, My Name Is

Confession time. I'm really bad with names. For some reason, it seems that I never listen to people when they first introduce themselves. Then somewhere in the middle of our conversation, when we've sort of built a little relationship, my brain kicks in and asks, "who the hell are you talking to?" At this point, I usually promise myself that I'll be more attentive next time.

Unlike forgetting the names of people you meet at a party, it pays to remember the names of people you'll be seeing on a regular basis. I think it's particularly important to establish a good rapport with people who may be slamming you into the mat, or rolling all over you. I don't want to be the guy who says, "High five, Dude, awesome ippon seionage!" Not that I'd ever say, "High five, Carlton, awesome ippon seionage," if there were a Carlton. Also, I want them to know my name so that they don't think of me as "The new douche who tries too hard." Hello, my name is Meguro.

New people I've met at Judo class:

Joe-a yellow belt
Eli-Green belt
Helen-a yellow belt
Usam-brown belt
Anthony-brown belt
Mike:-black belt

2 comments: