Sunday, June 6, 2010

karma

The first time it happened, we chalked it up to plain ol' bad luck. Just as I whipped out my credit card and asked for two tickets to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", the ticket vendor tells me that she'd just sold the last two tickets to the couple before me. Bastards! Better luck next time.

Last night, my wife and I bought two tickets an hour and a half early, plenty of time to assure us of two seats. A few blocks away was a reasonably uncrowded (for a Saturday night in NYC's Soho) bistro, Jacques. We asked for a banquette table inside; outside was too balmy to enjoy a meal. So far so good. I noticed a reserved notice on the table to my left, but thought nothing of it. We ordered, got our drinks, and started our date night conversation. The subject was "Gee, this is going to be an interesting evening." At this point, I became aware that the reserved table next to us was now occupied. A quick glance tells me the patron, single middle aged guy, craggy features, dark hair, is a well known actor. I switch into Japanese and inform my wife, that way we can converse without betraying our interest; we are jaded New Yorkers after all, actors are a dime a dozen.

So far, the evening is a success. We have our movie tickets in hand. We are well fed. We are glowing in the halo of celebrity. Our waiter suggests a blueberry cheesecake, that night's dessert special, but we decline. On a different night, it might have been interesting to dally over dessert and eavesdrop on the conversation taking place nearby, a beautiful dinner companion had joined the actor, but we had tickets to a show. Next time, definitely.

With ample time to spare we arrive at the theater, where we find drama.
theater manager-We dropped the film.
me-You can't drop the film, we paid.
theater manager-No, we really dropped the film. The reel, it hit the floor.
me- So, pick it up.
theater manager-The reel unwound and got tangled. There's no way to show the film this evening.
me- Doh! (not really,more like You bastards!)

Have a nice day.

1 comment:

  1. I apologize for deleting references to the actor's identity. A guy's got to eat.

    ReplyDelete