Monday, May 10, 2010

there's no "e" in spuds




If your knowledge of farm produce is based on what's available at the typical supermarket, you might think there are only two kinds of potatoes: Yukon Gold and Idaho. I'm no expert, but I'm certain there's more variety than that! Lucky for me, there's a farmers' market at Union Square. We bought a bag of peanut shaped spuds yesterday. I'm not sure how I'm going to prepare them this evening, but I'm leaning towards a treatment with olive oil and garlic.

Before hitting the farmers' market, I put 2 k on my Concept 2 rower. I have not touched the rower since I embarked on the now 11,000 plus burpee challenge. As soon as I pulled on the handle, the rotor sent up a cloud of dust that almost initiated an asthma attack. My time was 7'44"1, not exceptionally fast, but not disappointing. It seems that the burpees, while not making me a stellar oarsman, kept me physically prepared for something. That's gpp.

5 comments:

  1. Holly Molly, $3 for a pound of Ratte potatoes... that's like 12 times the price paid to the producer in France!
    Now, I wonder if THAT an act of madness is random after all...
    Osu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should see what we pay for rent.:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likes it meguro - I'm thinking garlic and oil is a fine idea :)

    Nice job on the rowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sandman. Somehow, I lost the last two comments from you and Mrs. Sandman. Sorry for the omissions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries! It happens to me too.

    ReplyDelete