Saturday, May 1, 2010

curious george saves the day


There's truth in the title of the exhibit, "Curious George Saves the Day." We learned, while visiting the Jewish Museum on Manhattan's Museum Mile with our children, that the drawings and manuscripts for the beloved book series helped the authors and illustrators, Margaret and H. A. Rey, escape Nazi occupied France.

The exhibit sheds light on how the peripatetic life of H.A and Margaret inspired the little monkey's adventures. As a child reading the book series, and as a parent reading the books to my children, I wasn't aware of the back story. That the little monkey and the man in the yellow hat emerge from their scrapes with their optimism intact makes the stories all the more poignant.

'snot all cultcha:
- 1-15 burpee breathing ladder

1,780/10,xxx

4 comments:

  1. That is really interesting! I'd never heard that before. Do you have a good link you can suggest where I can read more about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on the title, sandman.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doh! Of course! :-D

    LOL - thanks for the link meguro. That's a pretty cool story.

    I remember reading Curious George as a kid, and I enjoy reading it to my own kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, I also did not know this. My boy loves (like, a lot) Curious George. Still a favorite around here.

    Cheers

    Elena

    ReplyDelete