Tuesday, April 13, 2010

drawing the line at middle age


There are certain milestone in life one looks forwards to: becoming a teenager; learning to drive; getting married; your first child. Others you welcome with less enthusiasm. Then there are those you don't remember passing but realize you must have, just like the turn-off on the highway a few miles back.

What tipped me off that I was now among the middle aged was not the greying temples. I've been grey for a while. No, it was the coincidence of my children, a freshly minted teenager and a tween, trying to assert more independence and my father, 83 years old, losing more and more of his. Last Friday, I assumed power of attorney for dad and was appointed executor of his will.

As I watch my children brimming with vitality and compare them with dad, who has lost a lot of his pep, I am reminded of my place in the circle of life. My wife and I are stuck in the middle, between the old and the young. Eventually the young mature and the old pass on. But I... am drawing the line... here. Old age will come for me, but it will have to catch me first.
-24 kg weighted pull-ups (13x3)+1
-Knees to the bar (K2B) 3x11
-100 burpees (last 10 full bastards)

8 comments:

  1. ..."stuck in the middle"...

    Interesting choice of words here meguro; maybe you meant that you are "just", or "right" or even "schmuck" in the middle? But I wonder why you used "stuck"... is there more to it below the surface?

    Are you and your wife still in motion, orbiting with each other?

    Osu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osu! No subtext, Fred. "Stuck" reflects the inevitability of the situation: older than our kids and younger than our parents. Of course, once our parent pass, we will no longer be in the middle.

    My wife and I are still in motion, orbiting with each other. I am taking the lead, however, when it comes to violently resisting the aging process. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see, thank you for the precision, as you have noticed, stuck for me meant something different than the inevitability, etc...

    There is violent resistance and serene acceptance --- both usually come in succession, in their own timing, and with variable lags...

    Great post indeed.
    osu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Osu!

    I agree - a great post Meguro :-)

    ReplyDelete