Thursday, April 1, 2010

db cheat curl push-press

I may have mentioned before my intention to obtain a 16 kg kettlebell. If I lived in a house with a backyard and garage, space would not impose an impediment to acquiring all of the gear I'd like to have. My present circumstances, living in a crowded apartment, require me to curb further purchases. Rats!

The point of getting a 16 kg kb is improve my technique on the advanced lifts (c&j and snatch). Swinging and high pulling my 24 kg is no problem, but learning on a 24 makes for slow going. It's the damned shape and balance of the kb that make these lifts so difficult compared to db's. Why bother? Before I make any more purchases and in a move against the kb trend, I devised the db cheat curl push-press to mimic a kb c&j. My variation is to incorporate a Tyler fat grip and full upper body English to get the db up and down.

I've been using the Tyler grips mostly for pressing and static holds. This is the first time I employed them in a "ballistic" type lift. The cheat curl portion of the exercise, especially with the fat grip, is a hand-full!

Today's work-out:
-105 burpees (8'57")
-45 lbs. db cheat curl push press (3x10)

1100/10,xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment