Thursday, April 8, 2010

dense enough for you

This week, I started a density training protocol with a goal to accomplish 20 chin-ups augmented with 24 kgs of weight attached to a dip belt. Why you might ask? I have found that grip and pulling strength are extremely valuable when ground fighting a heavier opponent and are advantageous when against an opponent of equal size and skill. Density training is briefly described here.

Part of Tuesday's workout included 40 weighted chin-ups (20x2 for 20 minutes.) I did 2 reps on the minute and rested about 55 seconds between sets. I felt fine, despite all that volume, except for a little tightness in the traps. That was fixed with the foam roller. Today, Thursday, I went with 12x3 + 4x1 in roughly 16 minutes. It was a bit tougher today. My form deteriorated towards the end, necessitating sets of singles.


5 comments:

  1. Well done tweaking the comments signature meguro - it works!

    The density training looks very good, I like it.
    Once again, perseverance and patience are key to progress, but the program looks prone to bring the desired results.
    Good find!

    I'll be looking forward to your updates.
    osu
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Did I mention that I liked the design and layout of your blog?
    I think not...

    I like the design and layout of your blog; but I'll be back for the outstanding content.

    Osu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osu,
    Thanks Fred. I will endeavor to keep you and all of my readers entertained and informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Osu!

    Not to mention that all that grip strength also translates to a tighter fist for stronger punches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Osu! I'm all about the grip strength. :) Ever since I sprained my wrist a few years back, I'm very keen about all things grip related. Suitcase deadlifts with a fat grip, my new nemesis.

    ReplyDelete