Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bodyweight training

I've been wondering how to get past the sticking point in my OACU progressions. I'm stuck at assisted, one arm bent arm hangs; you know, where I pinch the door frame with my free hand for support while I do a one-arm, bent-arm hang off the doorway pull-up bar. It doesn't seem to be helping me get to the one-arm hold, and the one armed negative, which I believe are important milestones to the OACU.

Anyway, I caught a video on youtube of an athlete doing amazing bodyweight exercises (one armed handstands and lots of pull-up variations) and it gave me renewed hope, and perhaps a different tack to approach the OACU. Instead of doing my usual reps of pull-ups or advanced tuck lever rows followed by the assisted one-armed bent-arm hangs, I thought I'd pull-up, and do grip transitions in the bent arm position for time. Simple right? Damn! The guy in the video made it look easy. He moved smoothly from one bar, to another placed about a foot higher and set-back.

For me, with a single doorway pull-up bar, it'll be a little different. Pull-up with a pronated grip, switch to commando grip, switch to supinated grip, continue switching grips. On this first outing I was good for about 12 grip transitions. I did 4 sets of those and finished with 20 advanced tuck, front lever rows.

So there you have my new (for me) exercise. I don't know whether this movement has a name. I'm calling it bent arm grip transitions.

3-1-12
-4x12 bent-arm grip transitions
-20 advanced tuck, front lever rows
-3 HSPU+ 1 min bent-arm hand stand hold, 3 HSPU +42 sec bent-arm hand stand hold

No comments:

Post a Comment