Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Coping with back pain

Finding the cause of back pain can be like Jerry Bruckheimer police procedural. My lower back has been sore for a couple weeks now, and it's pretty darn annoying. You might have noticed a paucity in training posts. Yeah, it's because of my back and I hurt it training.

The chain of events, as I believe them to be, started with a wrist injury, carpal tendon instability. Breaking your fall on concrete, even if it's covered with a wrestling mat, can do this to your wrist. With my wrist compromised, the disparity between strong and weak hand overhead pressing got magnified. At some point, probably when I was push-pressing 80 lbs on the right side and alternating with 65 lbs on the left, I tweaked some superficial spinal muscles. The result, low back pain.

I've been trying to roll out my back with the Indo board cylinder as well as lacrosse ball with a little success. The ache is somewhat diminished. I haven't found the trigger point. . . yet. I will find this sucker and squash it.

7-24-11
-100 kb swings
-weighted pull ups (80 lbs, 17x1)

7-25-11
-50 single kb swings+50 double kb swings
-30, 100 lbs squat cleans

2 comments:

  1. Yeah funny I had a bit of that last week too. Luckily my wife's cousin is a Masseuse and he worked on it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news, I found that trigger point! Took me two weeks, but hey.:D

    ReplyDelete