Thursday, July 14, 2011

Check engine lights

The check engine light is flashing on your dashboard. What do you do? Last night at during Sambo class warm-up, my check engine light went on. We were sort of running in circles on the mat: take two steps, then take a knee, repeat. Usually, warm-ups in general, and this exercise in particular, are no problem. I was having a bit of difficulty with the running and kneeling. I took this as a sign-not enough rest. I promised myself to be extra careful.

We worked on grip changes, then grip changes into throws. The throws were variations of morote seionage (again, sorry I don't know the Russian equivalent): normal grip, two hands on lapel, one on lapel the other guiding the legs over. There's a version of the seionage throws where you shoot one leg deep into your opponent's stance. A karateka might recognize zenkutsu dachi in there. The last throw in the series was tani otoshi, which kinda looks like kiba dachi, gedan barai. You had to be there.

Luckily, we didn't do any sparring or mat work. I was pretty tired.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I stayed late and did a ton of extra training and body conditioning last night so today I took a rest day...

    ReplyDelete