Sunday, March 28, 2010

'til they get punched in the face

That's right! "Everyone's got a plan," said Mike Tyson "'til they get punched in the face." I don't normally refer to Iron Mike for words of wisdom, but this little nugget sparkles with brilliance. I've been thinking a lot about this since I got punched and head-butted in the face. No, I wasn't assaulted in the street by a mugger, I signed up for the beat down and paid good money too. Yup, the martial artist in me just had to find out what years of karate and judo practice would avail me against a skilled MMA competitor. My discovery, precious little.

There are no good possible outcomes from getting your brain rattled by blunt force trauma. OK, there's one: learning to avoid future brain trauma. This is how my plan evolves. Any activity that does not contribute to maintaining a healthy mind and body gets relegated to the dust bin. More on this in later posts. Lots of details to sort out.

So, where am I?
945 burpees down, thousands left to go. Getting closer and making improvement on the 50 burpees time. Somewhere under 7 minutes for 100 burpees would be nice.

I'm thinking of getting a lighter KB to work on technique. Meanwhile, I'll be doing lot's of overhead pressing and static holds with the db's to improve shoulder endurance.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little late to the party - sorry about that! I'd love to hear more about this MMA experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never, sandman. :)
    MMA, particularly the Kudo kind, where head trauma in the form of head butts and other powerful strikes, does not agree with me. It's one thing recovering from battered legs or ribs, it's quite another experience trying to remember your phone number. I haven't soured on MMA, but I'm going to have to proceed with more caution and preparation.

    ReplyDelete